Here are some of the quotes that I like from Rework.
1. Workaholics ever create crises. They don’t look for ways to be more efficient because they actually like working overtime. They enjoy feeling like heroes. They create problems (often unwittingly) just so they can get off on working more.
If all do is work, you’re unlikely to have sound judgments. Your values and decision making wind up skewed. you stop being able to decide what’s worth extra effort and what’s not. And you wind up just plain tired. No one makes sharp decisions when tired.
2. Do you want to build just another me-too product or do you want to shake things up? If you’re going to do something, do something that matters.
3. If you’re solving someone else’s problem, your’e constantly stabbing in the dark. When you solve your own problem, the light comes on. You know exactly what the right answer is.
When you don’t know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious.
4. Cut your ambition in half. You’re better off with a kick-ass half than a half-assed whole.
It doesn’t matter how much you plan, you’ll still get some stuff wrong anyway. Don’t make things worse by overanalyzing and delaying before you even get going.
It’s easy to put your head down and just work on what you think needs to be done. It’s a lot harder to pull your head up and ask why.
“If you want something done, ask the busiest person you know.” People who care about more than one thing. you shouldn’t expect the job to be someone’s entire life.
5. Inspiration is a magical thing, a productivity multiplier, a motivator. But it won’t wait for you. Inspiration is a now thing. If it grabs you, grab it right back and put it to work.